Friday, January 28, 2011

Review: Maybelline Fit Me Foundation

Maybelline's new "Fit Me" foundation was a hugely anticipated foundation for me, once I saw it come out around Christmas in the US I knew that I wanted to try it out. I am foundation-obsessed, I know that I own more foundation than any other makeup product, hands down. This new line, "Fit Me" is designed to assist in helping women find their perfect shade to "fit" them. Once you find your foundation shade, you can match it to the co-ordinating shade in powder, concealer, blush and bronzer. I picked up the foundation, powder and concealer only, the blush and bronzer I would suggest passing on since it looks like they just repackaged it to include it in this line. I will review the foundation today, and the powder and concealer will follow.

Maybelline's foundation tend to be too yellow/pink or too dark for me. So I was really hoping this time that I wouldn't experience any hassles. Surprise Surprise, when I got to the Walmart display (on the first day of the sale) I noticed that 110 (the colour I wanted) was sold out, so I picked up 115 with regret, but really wanted to try this out. Turns out 115 is very PINK TONED. The model in the image background above is wearing 115, it's light, I would say a tad darker than 110, but very pink and since I have redness in my face I always opt for a yellow-toned foundation to neutralize that. I ended up returning 115 and went to another Walmart (at the time Walmart was the only store in Canada selling this, not sure if that has changed) and there was one 110 left, so I snatched it, with the matching powder and concealer too. 110 is very light, but I find this does oxidize throughout the day and can look a bit darker, which ends up being a great match for (I am NC15 for reference).


The packaging, as everyone is saying is nice, it's a sleek glass bottle, BUT it has no pump and this means it can get messy/wasteful etc. Just a little background, there are 18 shades of this foundation, 3 in each level (light 100's, medium 200's and deep 300's). But for myself, 110 was the only shade that would work, it is light enough which surprises me since drugstores usually don't make foundation very light. Also, make sure you turn over the bottle, because on the back label it also has the name of the shade: 110 is "Porcelain", 115 is "Ivory" and so on (2nd image above).

Here is a swatch, the texture is very nice, light yet pretty opaque and not runny at all. Let's talk coverage, this has been compared to NARS Sheer Glow, but the coverage on NARS Sheer Glow is much more, this Maybelline foundation gives light coverage. It feels very light on the skin, like a tinted moisturizer, and blends very well. But the coverage was what disappointed me, I do not feel this is very layerable and it does not cover redness in my face completely.

More than anything I feel this foundation only works for certain skin types, that being dry. This foundation is very hydrating, it does not stick to dry spots and it never really "sets" either, it has that dewy natural look. If you have oily skin, I would suggest totally passing on this one, as it will not last on you very long. I will tell you why, my skin is very dry, but I do what I can (especially in the winter) to make it more "oily" if that makes sense, I load up on moisturizer and recently started using Smashbox's Photo Finish (in green), which gives my skin more "slip" and helps glide on foundation. However, with this product, even on my dry skin, it tended to disappear quickly. I found that eliminating the primer step, it lasted longer, so this is definitely is a dry skin foundation.

And lastly, to show some colour comparisons with my other current foundations. 110 is not as pinky neutral as Dior SkinNude (10 Ivory) or Laura Mercier's Moisturizing Foundation (Blush Ivory). And NARS Sheer Glow (Gobi) is MUCH more yellow than 110.

I like this foundation for my skin, although I do have to work with it. If this gave better coverage I think it would definitely be my favourite drugstore foundation. Maybelline Fit me is marketed as a "fresh, breathing, natural" foundation and I think they have achieved this. Also in the magazine ad it says "Don't Cover Me, Fit Me, flawless that let's the real you come through" and that is definitely true, coverage is meh.

Have you tried this foundation? What did you think?

29 comments:

beautyparler said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the review! I've been wanting to try this but think I might pass...unless I see it on sale;)

Leah said... Best Blogger Tips

All those products look amazing! The concealer, powder and foundation together look brilliant :P
Lucky you grabbed the 110 before someone else decided to!
xxx

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@beautyParler - Each product was on sale at Walmart for $7.96 (not sure if it still is) in Canada duh. Which is an awesome price imo. I also had $4 off coupon from maybelline so I paid like $4 for each item.

@Leahsland - I know what's the deal with only having 2 bottles of each shade at the store, that is lame.

donnarence said... Best Blogger Tips

thanks for this review.. i am lookng forward to this foundation too but i am not into light coverage...

prettyaspeaches said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the review! I love that you're a foundation junkie because I know I can count on you to review everything out there that I want to check out!

Shaylee Anne said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks so much for the great review Justine! I don't think I will be picking this up now (famous last words lol) I have pretty oily skin and don't like it when foundation doesn't "set" plus I also don't look good with anything "pink" undertone and the one you have looks like it may be a little light for me. *Sigh* Oh well, maybe I'll try the powder? ;)

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Shaylee Anne - powder review coming tomorrow, just a synopsis - it's very light coverage, like MAC MSFN.

ndoodles said... Best Blogger Tips

I get that it is suppose to make you look natural and not completely COVERED but still - people wear foundation to get even skin tone so it is kind of pointless if it doesn't cover redness completely. IMO, there is no point of foundation if it doesn't enhance your skin tone... so I would prefer a foundation with a better coverage.

Stephanie Merlin said... Best Blogger Tips

Aww boo. I've been interested in trying this. I have oily skin though, and I know this might be trouble. Oh well...:(

Tracy D said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Justine, I bought the powder but they didn't have my shade in foundation OR concealer (125). Looking forward to your review of the concealer, so far I do like the powder :)

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@ndoodles - I think it's a nice foundation for people who do not need foundation, have fairly good skin and do not need to cover up much, cause this foundation won't cover. I know what you mean though totally.

@Stardust Stephanie - Ya I would be careful if you have oily skin, better to go with someone more mattifying.

@Tracy - ya it can annoying when you can't find your shade/store doesn't have your shade. Concealer review will be day after tomorrow I am hoping. :)

Jamie Dorman said... Best Blogger Tips

I like this foundation because my skin is dry and I don't want much coverage. I need to find a good tinted moisturizer now.

Cinnabunnie said... Best Blogger Tips

thanks for the great review justine :) i've been away from any drugstores for a looong time so I don't even know what's instore.. i really want to try out the concealer so im looking forward to your review!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Great review! I was thinking about picking this up, but I don't think so now. I'm a foundation junkie like you so thanks for saving me some money!

Bailey said... Best Blogger Tips

Awesome review! My WalMart still doesn't have this in, they said not until Feb.17th... ugh. I guess I'll have to check Shopper's, but their prices are usually soo much higher.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

I saw this the other day at a local drug store. I think the package is pretty nice and sleek, but i really dislike the lack of pump. Its just so much more sanitary with a pump.

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@PoorCollegeStudent - It definitely works for those with skin like ours. And ya kudos on the low-coverage too, I usually don't opt for max coverage either.

@Cinnabunnie - concealer review coming in a few days! :)

@Tracy - I know when I read reviews on foundation, even if they are negative, I still like to buy it myself to see.

@Bailey - I thought we wouldn't have it in until February too, but if I saw it in the Walmart flyer and was psyched. Hope you get it soon.

@Mishi - for sure, the no pump thing is lame.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Great review.

LizzyBare said... Best Blogger Tips

Okay so I just bought this yesterday and right when I applied this on, my skin started to feel itchy, and this morning I woke up with a break out. I don't know if this happened to everyone. But yea.
-Liz

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@lizmzistheword - Well that totally sucks, I am sorry it didn't work for you. Perhaps an allergic reaction to something in it? the spf?

purpleladyfa said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi..
Which shade do you use in MAC?
I'm NW20,and still confused about fit me shade,,
Thanks in advaced :)

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@purpleladyfa - I wear NC15 in MAC. I hope that helps. You can order free samples of this foundation on the maybelline website if you aren't sure of your shade.

Glamatronic said... Best Blogger Tips

I actually have oily skin and made this work by pairing it with a matte oil absorbing powder. The only problem I have with it is I think it's causing me to break out a bit around my chin area, but I'm not for sure if it's the foundation yet because I just started using it a few days ago.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I have actually tried this product, #110, but I wish I would've known about the oily skin thing because I have oily skin :\ It doesn't really last that long on me, maybe 5 hours T_T. I also agree with the coverage thing, it doesn't cover much at all on me. It looks very natural though, and is very smooth. I wish they would've worked harder on this one (even though I use it every day LOL). Oh and if you have light skin (or use #110) try dabbing a little bit of light blush on your eyelids it makes them glow and looks just like eyeshadow :P (Yes I know this may sound weird lol) I try to expiriment with my makeup a lot XD

Vanessa said... Best Blogger Tips

I recently got this and I liked it too, I agree definitely for people with dry skin (like me) but I found it more on the watery side, it didn't bother me but I totally see myself mixing it with something for a little more texture. I think I wanna try it in the shade lighter than the one I got since it was a tad bit too dark.

Jen said... Best Blogger Tips

I wish I read your review earlier! T_T" i didnt realise that the shade was on the back label. Silly me. Finally got my hands on them as they have just been released in New Zealand in a clearance Sale.. snatched the wrong shade!! Thanks so much for your tip ^_^

Lauren said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for this review :) I have combination to oily skin and i was wondering if the foundation would work better for me if i seal it with the fit-me powder? Would it last longer and have better coverage for oily skin?
Also, i have quite a few pimples and i was wondering how well it covers blemishes and how the foundation works with the concealer.
Thanks in advance :)

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Lauren - The coverage isn't phenomenal on this. I wouldn't suggest it for oily skin, you're better choosing a foundation that is more for oily skin like revlon colorstay. You could set it with a powder, and I would suggest it for sure with the fit me.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

After a year - what do you think of Fit? I do not like it at all...it is waxy, doesn't blend or cover. I wish they would bring back their old product....