Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Review: Sigma Makeup F82 Round Top Synthetic Kabuki

One of Sigma's newest brushes is the F82, the Rounded Top Kabuki Brush, it's part of their new Sigmax line. I already had the F80 (my ultimate favourite Sigma brush), and was so excited when I saw the F82 announced because it looks ideal for liquid foundation application. This brush is $16 on Sigma Makeup's website, you can check it out here. For those in Canada, shipping is very reasonable and I receive my package normally within 10 business days.

This brush is described as "simplifies precise makeup application under the eyes and around the nose. This brush is also perfect for achieving flawless coverage using liquid and powder products. Made of Synthetic Sigmax HD filament." It's basically a synthetic kabuki on a stick, similar to the Bare Minerals Handy Buki Brush. It is incredibly dense and soft, the bristles are short and stubbly so they do not move around a lot at all, which means you can get precise application of whatever products you use. I would use this primarily for liquid foundation, but I can see it being great for cream blushes too or concealing.


Have you noticed that Sigma started engraving the numbers and names into their brushes? The F82 is the first one that I've noticed that has, you can tell in the top picture my camera doesn't focus as easily on the text. The original text was just painted/stamped on. I think this is nice because it is less likely to rub off.

The head on the F82 is slightly smaller than the F80, but the bristles are the same, it is not duo fibre, just has two-toned bristles. The bristles are shorter as well, but just as soft. The brush handle itself is slightly shorter too. You can get a more precise application with the F82 because the bristles are more dense and firm. The main difference is the head on the F82 is round whereas the F80 is flat topped, I think the F82 is easier to use to buff in your foundation because of the round shape. If you apply your foundation more in a tapping motion the F80 can be better since it is flat-topped, I use a combination of both methods.


As you can tell in the picture the F82 head is slightly smaller than the F80. Both of my brushes were recently used and washed so that's why you see colour in them. If you think the F80 takes a long time to dry, the F82 is even worse! Since it is so dense, short bristled and firm it does not air out quickly at all. Personally I do not mind my brushes being a little damp when I use them, some people even spray their brushes with Fix+ and stuff to soak them a bit, makes application easier.

Do I like this brush? I love it, I can see it quickly being added to my everyday routine for foundation and concealer application. If you liked the F80, you will like the F82 as well.

* Don't forget to enter my Sigma Makeup giveaway, one winner will be chosen for $50 worth of brushes, this contest ends in a few days!

Do you have this brush? What is your opinion of it?

11 comments:

Jamie Dorman said... Best Blogger Tips

I was thinking about this brush, but I love my F80 so much I was questioning why I would need it.

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@PoorCollegeStudent - cause it's awesome? I am debating buying a couple of F80's so that I don't have to wash mine so often. The F82 is considerably different.

Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for doing this review! I was actually wondering if this brush was good or not! Something else to put on my christmas wish list! Ahah! :)

El Espacio de Maikita said... Best Blogger Tips

Fabulous! I have envy ... Kiss =D

Renay said... Best Blogger Tips

That looks like an amazing brush!
It's nice to see your thoughts on the item, ive been looking through the site a lot lately!

Andra said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi! Very useful review! Thanks, however ...if U were to chose bet. them, which one would U choose to apply liquid fdt.?:) the F80 or the F82?

I have the F80 (which I love) and I am thinking to buy another F80. :) But - now, after reading ur review, I'm thinking to the F82,as well.:)

I cannot buy both of them, I must choose one.:) What would U recommend for liquid fdt.: buying a 2nd F80? or an F82? Thanks.;)

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@ Ada - If I had to choose between the two, having both already, I would get another f80. I find that I grab for it more because the f82 is so tightly packed and takes more time to apply product (for liquid foundation). I hope that helps.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi! I recently got the Laura Mercier Mineral Powder (loose) foundation. I've never used MMU before and am looking for a good brush. Is the F80 good enough for that or does anyone else have other suggestion?

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Amy - I don't currently use mineral makeup, but I think the f80 would be a great brush or the ELF studio powder brush. If you are looking for a more sheer application, any powder brush would do fine too.

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

I am new to the site I appreciate the honest reviews! Since you have both brushes which do you think would give a more full coverage? N to be clear you feel the f82 is more dense? Thanks:)

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Christina - I think the F82 is more densely packed and gives more coverage, but I would suggest it more for concealer application. The F80 is best for liquid foundation and gives awesome coverage.