Saturday, May 22, 2010

Product Rave and Review: ELF Studio Powder Brush

Let me tell you about this brush, it is awesome.  I have a pretty substantial makeup brush collection and this is the THE brush that I reach for the most. It is great for liquid foundation, powder foundation, blush everything, totally multi-purpose, and is only $3 on the ELF Cosmetics website. I own 3 of these and never want to be without one. Everyone talks about this brush, lots of people already have it and the hype is all true.

Flat top brushes are really effective in applying, stippling and buffing foundation in well, leaving your skin looking airbrushed. This brush is quite dense too and firm, but soft, so it does the job well. It has never shed on me and doesn't smell like funk when I received it.

ELF Powder Brush on Left, MAC 187 on Right (to show fullness)

To show the denseness (is that a word?) of the ELF powder brush I have compared it with the very popular MAC 187 above. You can tell the size is similar and the ELF brush is denser, however the 187 is duo fibre so half the bristles aren't showing there cause they are black and lower down. I think these two brushes do a similar job though (I am not saying they are the same brush) and I reach for the ELF and the 187 just sits there looking pretty. When you first get the ELF brush, it comes in a plastic protective cover and it won't look this big, but it will fluff out over time. It washes well too, dries quickly and I haven't had any problems with the colour bleeding or hairs falling out.

ELF Powder Brush on Left, MAC 187 on Right (to show size)

As you can tell from above, the MAC 187 has a bit taller bristles. but the size is pretty much the same. The ELF is made of taklon bristles, while the MAC has both synthetic and animal hairs I believe.

ELF Powder Brush on left, Sonia Kashuk Flat Top on Right

Another similar brush to the ELF is the Sonia Kashuk Flat top that I received got while in the states. However, the head is like half the size! The Sonia Kashuk is really nice though, gets under the eyes and in smaller places that the ELF cannot. I like that about the ELF though, it covers a wide area on your face, so it makes foundation application much quicker too. Sorry the brushes are dirty, they get used regularly!

 ELF Powder Brush on left, Sonia Kashuk Flat Top on Right

And from the side you can see the size difference too. 

The only con of this brush is the craftsmanship, on all three of my brushes, the part where the ferrule connects with the handle has come loose. It is nothing that glue can't fix, or just twisting the brush in place and does not at all affect the performance of the brush, but it's just annoying. I wish they would make these brushes better quality in that respect. I have read this happening to others too, so it's not just me, and all three isn't a coincidence. See picture below..



All in all, I think ELF has a winner here for sure. This brush is awesome! If they charged $15 for this brush, I would still buy it, but I probably shouldn't tell them that. ;) If you don't have this yet, what are you waiting for?

10 comments:

Jane said... Best Blogger Tips

I have been very back and forth on getting this brush. I will probably eventually. My ELF eyeshadow brush has a loose handle as well. great review!

AmyRoto said... Best Blogger Tips

I have to agree -- this ELF brush is great for the price! Such a steal. I use mine for liquid foundation as well :)

-Amy

Eva said... Best Blogger Tips

Ty for comparing it to the SK. I have the SK one and thought that I had no need for the ELF one. I see the error of my ways now LOL & will be buying the Elf one soon :) Ty for sharing

Laura Beth said... Best Blogger Tips

Smell like funk lol, I know what you mean though, some brushes smell weird, and when you wash them, it's horrid. lol

I may need to invest in this brush. Thanks for sharing. :)

makeuponmind.blogspot

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@ Jane - ahhh broken handles too1 Elf needs to step this up,maybe someone will read this and take note!

@Roamylive - thanks!

@Eva - ya the SK is much smaller, kinda like the mac 188 to the 187.

@laura beth - funk haha yeah, like coastal scents funk! you know what I am saying, it ain't pretty.

Recalcitrant Nails said... Best Blogger Tips

That is really cool and a great deal. Sign me up, I'm going to have to track one of those babies down. :)

Stevista said... Best Blogger Tips

Great review, I loved the comparisons!! :) I looove this brush, I own 3 of them as well lol !

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Lacquer - thanks!

@stavroula - thank you for your comments! ;)

Hershley's Sweet Kiss said... Best Blogger Tips

I want one!! im loving your blog!

LiisK said... Best Blogger Tips

This one's my favorite too. I have an idea - why don't you write after having this brush for a year in constant use?
I've had mine for half a year and after I wash it, it still looks brand new. Handle came off my brush too - i think it's because they use wooden handles and wood shrinks and expands to the air moisture.