Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Over-hyped Products Tag

We are all guilty of buying stuff because someone said it was a must-have. I know I watch lots of youtube videos and buy stuff just based on recommendations. Most of the time, I end up loving the product, but sometimes it just attracts dust. I try to research and read reviews before I buy anything. Here are some products that just did not do it for me and were a waste of money and my time.

The biggest one for me was anything from Coastal Scents! When I started watching makeup videos on youtube I remember this brand was hyped everywhere! Every makeup guru was saying how great their products were. Their products are made in China, they are cheap, and fall apart, shipping is expensive and you can get the same identical products on ebay, lots of other companies sell these exact same palettes.

Coastal Scents 88 Matte Palette
I had to wipe off the dust off this baby, and the pile of other palettes from Coastal Scents to take a picture of this. You will never use this! Yes, it has lots of pretty colours, but they are dusty, chalky and no one wears these colours unless it's Halloween. Buy yourself some nice MAC shadows, a couple and you will be set. I never use this, and have 3-4 other palettes from Coastal Scents, which guess what, I never use! Their neutral palette is okay, but I wouldn't advise buying that either. The quality is sub-par, my one palette fell apart when I dropped it once.


Coastal scents brushes
That's right more Coastal Scents hate from me. Do not buy their brushes. I have several of them, they are not dupes of anything! they are scratchy, smell like dead animal and are as cheap as they come! Yes, cute pink handles, that's all it is. These are garbage, I've thrown many out.

Maybelline Great Lash Mascara
This mascara is featured in magazines all the time as being the best rated mascara and it sucks! All this does is colour your lashes black. 

L'oreal HIP shadows
These are not that good, and they are expensive! I think some are okay, I have a few that I really like, but these three in particular have like no pigmentation, the colours that they pair together are really dull and boring too. The colour are Flash, Adventurous and Rascal.

MAC Blot Powder
I don't know why I bought this. If you have dry skin like me, you have no business buying this. People swear by this, use it as a finishing powder or for touch-ups during the day to avoid shine. But I have no use for this at all, I basically keep it in my makeup bag in my purse as a compact, and it works for that. I have it in Light, which is the lightest colour and if not blended well it can make you look ashy. This is the only MAC product that I have bought that I do not care for. 

I think I am pretty smart to not buy stuff just cause someone says it's great because not all products work for all people. But it really annoys me when I see youtuber pushing the same product, if it's too good to be true, it probably is and I think I have a pretty good bs detector. 

So what are you guilty of? Tell me about it. :D

11 comments:

Jane said... Best Blogger Tips

LOL! I have one Coastal Scents palette that I use everyday but I only use 5 of the shadows so the other colors continue to sit untouched. Luckily it was only $20 so it was worth it for the 5 colors I use! I am glad I didn't get their brushes because I heard a lot of people say they smell terrible, gross. Great post!!

makeupaddict00.blogspot.com

Recalcitrant Nails said... Best Blogger Tips

I *ahem* purchased Sally Hansen Hidden Treasure that everyone is going crazy about. And since I'm not a fan of SH products to begin with, you guessed correctly if you guessed I didn't like HT. I will stick with my Nfu oh polish for true flakie goodness! Live and learn tho. :)

Laura Beth said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't know. I still really want to invest in a coastal palette, is that silly. But I am totally into wearing funky colors. Thanks for the heads up though :)

makeuponmind.blogspot

xox Laura Beth

kali said... Best Blogger Tips

I've had 5 Coastal Scents palettes and have never actually USED any of them. I swatched them, didn't like, and either passed them on or sold them. I don't own any anymore and it's cleared a lot of storage room for other products. There are SO many products I buy that have been overhyped and I hate that I waste money on them. Oh well.. every 2 months or so I gather up whatever I don't use and give it away to either one of my friends or cousins. But sometimes I totally regret giving some of the things away when I want to use them later! =P

Great post.. I feel like doing one of these too now!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Jane - you definitely get a lot of colours,and I got the palettes thinking, I won't ever have to buy shadows again! but that wasn't the case.

@lacquer - I've seen hidden treasure everywhere and it's not really my thing, it looks cool on other people though.

@laura beth - I like the neutral palette that they have, or the warm one (don't own that one myself). If you like crazy colours, it could work for you!

@kali - I should give some of my stuf away! or trade it on mua or something.

Emmie Wong said... Best Blogger Tips

=ooo that's soo surprising since i heard RAVES about these products and I was actually interested in buying them!
idkk i still really want a CS palette, even just to try it out. I've heard nice stuff about their brushes too.
If you don't like these products you should swap it, return it or give it to me HAHAHA =P

AmyRoto said... Best Blogger Tips

I have the coastal scents palette and I only use about 6 of the brown shades! The rest is a waste, but luckily I didn't pay shipping!

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

I wanted to thank you so much for being HONEST about these products. I've been considering that 88 pallette for awhile and so many people rave over it, but I thought "if the shadows are chalky, I will ignore it/eventually throw it out." I have some NYX pallettes that are kind of that way. some of the colors are smooth/pigmented, and some are poo. I've heard you do better buying the individual NYX shadows. Thanks for the honesty!

Stevista said... Best Blogger Tips

I will have to agree with you on the Maybelline Great Lash Mascara... they should change its name to Bad, Smudging Lash Mascara!

Hauls and Reviews said... Best Blogger Tips

you should do more of these posts!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Hauls and Reviews - I may do another one soon, been buying lots of crappy products lately. ;)