Friday, May 21, 2010

NYX Single and Trio Eyeshadow Swatches and Review Part 1

So, since there is Cherry Culture/ NYX sale going on right now, I am sure there are people out there looking for swatches, I know I was last night when I was planning my order. I have several of the single and trio eyeshadows, so I did some swatches and took some pictures for you all! All swatches are one swipe, no base or primer underneath. Enjoy.

Also a short review, it is true that the single shadows are more pigmented than the trios, in most cases, however, I do have some trios which are pretty awful (despite looking pretty in the pan) and others that are so smooth and buttery and even better than the trios. It is definitely hit or miss with these, but most of them are pretty good. The pigmentation on some is comparable to MAC quality, and for the price, you really can't go wrong.

nyx single shadows
Top Row: Iced Mocha, Deep Bronze, Frosted Flakes
Middle Row: Red Bean Pie, Burgundy Pearl, Highlight
Bottom Row: Black, Charcoal, Sunrise

NYX Iced Mocha, Deep Bronze and Frosted Flakes
NYX Iced Mocha, Deep Bronze and Frosted Flakes

Iced Mocha - Very popular shade, very smooth, I wear this one all the time. This is a cool light brown, similar to MAC's Patina. Very smooth, richly pigmented.
Deep Bronze - Warm, almost coppery brown. Very good pigmented, soft.
Frosted Flakes - Pretty, silvery neutral colour, similar to MAC's Shroom, colour payoff is pretty good.

NYX
NYX Red Bean Pie, Burgundy Pearl and Highlight

Red Bean Pie - Very nice, rich and dark plum. It has subtle shimmer, but not noticable in the swatch nor on the eye. Very pigmented. Get this one.
Burgundy Pearl - Purpley/burgundy colour, Also has shimmers, which are not noticable, nice pigmentation.
Highlight - Light yellow colour, I thought this would make a good highlight colour, but it falls at that, too yellow. Skip on this one.

NYX Black, Charcoal and Sunrise
NYX Black, Charcoal and Sunrise

Black - This is supposed to be more pigmented than MAC's Carbon according to some. I don't really wear black shadows, but it seems okay to me.
Charcoal - Pretty silver/grey colour,, almost has blue undertones very pigmented. It's supposed to be like MAC's Knight Divine.
Sunrise - No idea why I got this one... I don't wear red shadows! Uhh.. ugly?

Onto the trios...

NYX trio shadows
1st Row: Sweet Lagoon/Aqua/Ocean, Lake Moss
2nd Row: Shangri-La, Golden/Rust/Walnut Bronze
3rd Row: Barely There/Champagne/Root Beer, Nude/Taupe/Dark Brown
4th Row: Platinum Pink/Salmon/Jazzy Bronze, In the Woods
(not pictured Spring Leaf/Lime Green/Green Tea)

NYX Golden Ruse Walnut Bronze
NYX Golden/Rust/Walnut Bronze
One of my favourite trios, very pigmented and vibrant, gorgeous colours. The best!

NYX Lake Moss
NYX Lake Moss
This trio has blackened purple, blue and green shades. I would recommend using these on top of a black base. They look pretty in the pan, but swatched, they all kind of look the same. I would pass on this one.

NYX Sweet Lagoon, Aqua, Ocean
NYX Sweet Lagoon/Aqua/Ocean
Aside from the pretty blue on the right, these have like no pigmentation. This is my worst trio of the bunch. I am not really into wearing blues and I don't know why I bought this one. Pass!

NYX trio swatches

Continue to Part 2 please...

3 comments:

kali said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh NYX.. I used to have like 10 of their trios but I never used them so I ended up selling them. I kind of regret it now! I still have a few singles. I wasn't aware that they're more pigmented than the trios. Thanks for the review!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

i likeeeee. i only have one trio in black/grey/white.

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@kali - the singles seem pretty quality, softer for sure, but some of my trios are really nice, but ya, if you like one colour in a trio, just get the single.

@eleventhofapril - I got a bunch when Pharma Plus has their NYX 20% off sale from time to time. I ordered some of the 10 palettes from cherry culture too during the sale, can't wait to get those.