Friday, May 7, 2010

NARS Sheer Glow Foundation Product Rave Review

This foundation is neither sheer or glowy, but what it is, is wonderful! I've been meaning to pick this one up for some time after hearing awesome reviews and I must say, it lives up to everything that I have read. I got this in the colour, "Gobi" which is a perfect match for my skin (yellow undertones), which is MAC NC15. I went to a NARS counter at The Bay (in Canada), and was pretty confident that Gobi was my colour, from reading reviews and other people's suggestions. Upon swatching some colours on my hand, I thought Deauville was a little too orange, but Gobi was perfect. This foundation is expensive, and more than any other foundation I've never bought before, but the results are fabulous.

Sheer Glow is described as "a glowing, satin-finish foundation with sheer and buildable coverage. Replete with skincare benefits and the NARS Complextion Brightening Formula, skin is hydrated, more luminous, softer and smoother. Used daily, Sheer Glow Foundation improves skin brightness, radiance and texture. For normal to dry skin types." (NARS website). The foundation which is recommended for those with oily skin is the NARS Sheer Matte, but keep in mind, the colours do not correlate the same (I've read that Matte runs lighter), so you gotta go in and test it out if you get either or. Compared to my HG foundation, MAC Studio Fix Fluid this foundation is better in my opinion because it does not smell or feel thick on the skin (like SFF), the coverage is comparable though and the finish is much nicer.

 NARS Sheer Glow in Gobi on Left, MAC Studio Fix Fluid in NC15 on Right
This foundation retails for $55 CAD, which is a lot in my opinion, MAC foundations are about $31ish (Studio Fix Fluid anyway). I am officially on a foundation ban from now on, meaning I am not buying anymore (until I run out). You get 30ml (1 fl oz), which is pretty standard for foundations. Sheer Glow comes in a heavy glass bottle, with a black cap that has the rubbery plastic black packaging that all their products have, which is nice to the touch, but can get dirty easily. The cap also does not really lock very well and can move around, I am not sure how good this would be for travel. Also there is no pump. I knew there wasn't one, but when I went to the counter at The Bay, I asked the lady if it came with one or if I could buy one for it, as the testers had one and she said it did come with it, as I walked out of the store and opened it to check, I noticed that in fact it did not. I went back in, but she had already left (and since she wasn't even the NARS rep, I just gave up). I would of bought a pump if it had been available, since I am a pump kinda girl.

I applied this with my ELF powder brush, which is my staple brush for foundation. It applied nicely, blended well. I thought I used too much at first, but upon buffing it in, it just melts into your skin and I had no problems at all. I will try it out with other brushes to see how it performs. I know lots of girls just use their fingers, some use the MAC 190, others the 109, I will try all that out. It did not oxidize throughout the day. My skin looked like skin, which I like, but it did provide very good coverage. This could nicely be my HG foundation, and I can totally see why it is so infamous and everyone rates it so highly.

The Good:
* Great coverage (medium)
* Your skin looks flawless, and like skin!
* Wide range of colour selection
* Lovely satin finish
* Application is easy, blends wonderfully.
* Long lasting
* Feels hydrating, smooth.
* No scent

The Bad:
* Packaging sucks, no pump.
* No sunscreen

3 comments:

Jane said... Best Blogger Tips

I was going to wait until this had a pump to buy it but I can't hold out much longer! Great review!

makeupaddict00.blogspot.com

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Jane - are they planning on making it with a pump?!

Lima said... Best Blogger Tips

I <3 Nars Sheer Glow. It's a runny forumulation so it's super easy to blend plus you don't need much of it. Lovelovelove xxx