Friday, May 14, 2010

China Glaze Poolside Collection: Bottle Pics, Swatches and Review

china glaze poolside collection bottles
When I was in Chicago last week, fluorescent, neon colours were all the rage. Before I left, I ordered the entire set for a really good price and it arrived yesterday! These were really, really hard to photograph, since they are neon and the flash made them look totally unrecognizable. If anyone has tips on how to photograph neons, please let me know!

This collection has 6 colours, all fluorescent, BRIGHT neons, this collection is definitely good for summer, I wouldn't wear these colours any other time of year.  These swatches are not true to life, but I tried my best. I would recommend using a basecoat and topcoat with these as the application is a tad streaky and they dry matte-like. They look much nicer and glossy with topcoat too, and the basecoat helps in the application.

china glaze poolside towel boy toy
Towel Boy Toy is different than the rest of the colours in this collection, it isn't crazy bright and it has tiny blue shimmers in it. This is a vibrant blue and it has a totally cute name too! It reminds me of pool water. This was three coats, no topcoat.

china glaze kiwi cool-ada
Kiwi Kool-Ada is a super bright and intense green. This was three coats with basecoat and topcoat.

china glaze yellow polka dot bikini
Yellow Polka Dot Bikini is the bright yellow of the collection. It was the worst in terms of application, very streaky, as expected for a yellow polish. This is 3 coats. The photograph does it no justice at all, this colour is bright, like blinding bright!

china glaze sun worshipper
Sun Worshiper is a bright orange. This one applied pretty well, 3 coats, topcoat and basecoat. This is very bright and funky looking. The colour is pretty true to life.

china glaze flip flop fantasy
Flip Flop Fantasy is a bright coral colour. This is my favourite one of the collection. I think it's really cute. This is without a topcoat, it looks really matte, with topcoat it would be lovely. I recommend getting this one.

china glaze pool party
Pool Party is a hot, pink neon. This one is 3 coats with basecoat and topcoat. It's really pretty as well, my second favourite.

Neons give a lot of people a hard time with application, I didn't think these were particularly bad, a little streaky here and there, but not terrible. It always helps with these to use a ridgefiller or white polish underneath to really bring the colour out. All of mine were three coats, the only one that gave me problems was the yellow shade. Also, I know a lot of nail blogger had swatches of this collection in February/March, but unfortunately I do not receive polishes from companies, I fund all of these collection myself and in Canada, we take forever to get them. Poolside officially came out in April. I ended up finding this entire set on amazon.com for the price of one polish basically, so I got them all.

What do you think of this collection, and neons in general?

4 comments:

Laura Beth said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow, amazing collection! Those neons are intense! I love the green I just wanna paint my toes up! lol

makeuponmind.blogspot

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@ Laura Beth - they are super intense. I am wearing flip flop fantasy today and can't stop looking at it, it's awesome!!!

couturebeauty said... Best Blogger Tips

Where did you buy the collection from? I really want 4 of the colours!!!!! Sally Beauty??

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@couturebeauty - sally's should have it by now, I bought it off nailetc on amazon.com.